The San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo is back for its 63rd year, February 9-26, 2012 at the AT&T Center. And, just like in years past, this San Antonio event staple has a roster that aims for another big draw, including 21 rodeo performances, star-studded entertainment and annual events like the Cowboy Golf Classic, BBQ Cookoff and Concert and Go Rodeo Ball.
Organizers hope to surpass the success of 2011, which brought more than 1.4 million people out the event grounds. According to organizers, about 20% of those visitors actually made the trek from outside the state, as far north as Canada.
All of the Rodeo staples are back: Grand Entry, Saddle Bronc Riding, Tie-Down Roping, Barrel Racing, Bullriding, Calf Scramble, Steer Wrestling and Mutton Bustin’. You can also find the Livestock and Horse Show schedule here.
There's a much-anticipated entertainment lineup in 2012. Some of the biggest names in country and rock music, like Miranda Lambert, Lady Antebellum, Keith Urban, Joan Jett and Daughtry are slated to perform.
- Thursday,February 9th:Chris Young @ 7 p.m.
- Friday, February 10th: Luke Bryan @ 7:30 p.m
- Saturday,February 11th: Keith Urban @ 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, February 12th: Hot Chelle Rae @ 1 p.m.
- Monday, February 13th: Ronnie Dunn @ 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 14th: Tenth Avenue North @ 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 15th: The Band Perry @ 7 p.m.
- Thursday, February 16th: Josh Abbott Band @ 7 p.m.
- Friday, February 17th: Lady Antebellum @ 7:30 p.m
- Saturday, February 18th: Jake Owens @ 1 p.m.
- Saturday, February 18th: Daughtry @ 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, February 19th: Joe Nichols @ 1 p.m.
- Sunday, February 19th: El Trono de Mexico @ 7:30 p.m.
- Monday, February 20th: Terry Fator @ 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 21st: Miranda Lambert @ 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 22nd: Rodney Atkins @ 7p.m.
- Thursday, February 23rd: Alan Jackson @ 7 p.m.
- Friday, February 24th: Joan Jett and the Blackhearts @ 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, February 25th: Xtreme Bulls with Trace Adkins@ 1 p.m.
- Saturday, February 25th: PRCA Rodeo Finals with Dierks Bentley
Fun for the Whole Family:
“The family fairgrounds will remain robust with interactive games and exhibits including the new Wildlife Area and the HEB Little hands on the Farm learning experience,” says Jenny L. Nagelmueller, Communications Director with the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo. “Don’t forget to visit our newly expanded and renovated 2012 Wine Garden featuring wines from all over Texas and the US for sampling and sale by the bottle.”
Families will still be able to enjoy the petting zoo, pony rides, carnival, and popular pig races, including the Swifty Swine swimming pig race. There are also several affordable promotions for visitors.Matinee Madness: Purchase a ticket to participating Saturday or Sunday matinee shows and receive a complimentary lunch or dinner invitation for 4 from Rudy’s BBQ.
Family Day: $1 admission all day on Feb. 26th
Dollar Days: Every Friday from 8 a.m.- 6 p.m.. Grounds admission, rides, hot dogs, popcorn and sodas in the carnival area are all only $1 each.
Part of the proceeds from events sales benefits the SALE Scholarship fund, which has helped over 5,000 Texas students, to date, with college expenses. These are students in 70 different Texas counties representing 90 colleges and universities in the state.
"The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo has given over $113 million to education since inception of the SALE Scholarship Fund,” says Nagelmueller. “In 2011 alone, the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo contributed $9.1 million to educating the youth of Texas in the form of scholarships, grants, endowments, auctions, a calf scramble program and show premiums paid to youth.
A Helping Hand:
Much of the success of the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo can be directly credited to the many event volunteers. Right now, there are more than 5,000 people lending a helping hand, but event organizers say more are needed. There are 38 committees to choose from. Learn more about volunteering here. Those who give of their time do receive some noteworthy perks including receive free admissions to the grounds, free parking, first access to event tickets and more.Event Info:
San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo
February 9 - 26, 2012
Purchase tickets onlinevia Ticketmaster or by calling 877-637-6336. Event tickets are also available in person at the AT&T Center Box Office Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.